Sharp PC-3000

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
MegaMalain
Favorite Palmtop: HP200LX

RE: Sharp PC-3000

Post by MegaMalain »

Do you have pics or a reference you can share to open theSharp PC-3000? My unit displays a POST Failure - 0003 on screen right after I insert batteries and power it on. I have a feeling the previous set of batteries left in it by the previous owner leaked and some of it got onto the circuit board. I’d like to see if cleaning it off will resolve the error message. Thanks!
Andrello
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: PC3000

Re: Sharp PC-3000

Post by Andrello »

You can find the instructions for opening the unit in the Service Manual, I am posting here the page describing the simple operations needed.
According to the Technical Reference Manual, the POST error 003 refers to "Chilly boot SRAM test failed because a value read from a byte did not match the value written to it", maybe the SRAM IC is noto working or, most likely, there is a fake contact.
Service Manual (dragged).jpg
Service Manual (dragged).jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 8517 times
ArchiMark
Regular user

Post by ArchiMark »

Hi everyone,

Discovered this great forum after discovering the great 'List of DOS based palmtop PCs webpages.

Have a nice HP 200LX upgraded to 8MB and double-speed now. Very nice and built like a tank....but tempted to get a larger palmtop such as the Sharp PC 3000 to get a larger keyboard and display for my old eyes....

A few questions please. Please note that I am not an expert with DOS like many of you.

1. DOS Versions

200LX has DOS 5. Is there much difference between it and DOS 3.3 on the 3000 other than size limit on storage cards?

2. Printing

On my 200LX I can print with my little Pentax PocketJet Plus 3 printer. Is there any way to use it with the 3000?

Assume, if not then I'd need to transfer files to other computer and print from there.

3. Windows

If I ran windows and want to use a mouse, What is easy way to connect it to 3000? Any other issues with using a mouse?

4. CF Card

So, if I get a 32MB compatible CF card / adapter I can use it to install and/or run DOS (and Windows if I install it...) programs from?

5. General Info

Any other things I should be aware of or concerned about regarding getting a 3000 or using one?

Thank you for any and all input!

Mark
Silicon Valley
ArchiMark
Regular user

Post by ArchiMark »

Hi again,

Well, I went ahead and got a nice condition Sharp PC-3100 and a Tidalwave (clone?) PS-1000.

Finally found a 1 MB SRAM card that works in these machines.

Now I want to install the SUNDRV driver so that I can use CF cards in them too. Much easier to deal with.

However, I am not a DOS expert and I am not sure how to properly install the driver.

Do I copy all the unzipped files to my D: drive and then run 'sinstall' from DOS prompt or ?

Thank for any help with this.

Mark
ArchiMark
Regular user

Post by ArchiMark »

Got driver installed!

But now have issue with recognizing the 1999 SanDisk 16MB CF card (SDCFB).

When I do 'sformat b:' I get message 'General failure accessing card'.

Did something else and got message that driver only works on SunDisk cards......

SanDisk cards are SunDisk cards...company just changed name.....

Any suggestion how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Mark