Sharp PC-3000

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
wintermute
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: Sharp_PC-3000

Re: Sharp PC-3000

Post by wintermute »

Thank you for your effort, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I tried format -- did not work.

I tried your image on my card -- doesn't work (none of the commands work).

I think I will start digging for a card from your list.
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

There are several cheap Canon FC-32MH cards on eBay. I bought one. Will report if it worked for me too.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

OK, just let me know if you still have problems. Mine didn't work "out of the box" but after SFORMAT it worked fine.
Cello
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: SharpPC3100

Post by Cello »

Love all your research on making Flash cards work on the PC-3000
Cello
Regular user

Post by Cello »

On building your own RS232 connector for the PC-3000
...continued
(see also previous posts in this thread)

In my never ending search for some common piece of PCB that fits the proprietary thickness and pin spacing of the serial connector of the PC-3000, I had a Eureka moment and started to check flash memory cards.
And yes, a micro SD card has exact the correct thickness and copper line spacing to fit the PC-3000 connector!
It is one sided though. But if only pin 2 (Receive Data), pin 3 (Transmit Data) and pin 5 (Signal Ground) are needed for a null modem cable, one side should be enough! Can any one confirm?

Would be nice...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Yeah a minimalistic nullmodem cable (In German we say "3 line cable") would only need receive, Transmit and ground. No handshake with that one though.

Actually the Tidalwave port replicator also fits - the lines are messed up, so you would need to either rewire the lines (and solder the unused contact pad) or use the minimalistic 3-line approach. The plug is fine though.

I just know since I am currently negotiating with Mr. kaechele, the original inventor of the Port Replicator. I try to bribe him into building adaptors for the Sharp. he's currently trying to source the original connectors - which would be cool as these would obviously fit perfectly like the original accessory cables.

On a side note - ordered these neat "screw contact" D-SUB plugs - so once i have these i wanna make a "ghetto style" PC-3000 plug from these, a phone card (or something similar) and some silver epoxy. If that works out I'll of course publish kinda DIY article with pictures.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/251928229477
Cello
Regular user

Post by Cello »

Nice and cheap versatile D-SUB plugs you found Kyodai!
Immediately ordered some.

Would also be cool if original connectors become available.
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

Kyodai wrote:OK, just let me know if you still have problems. Mine didn't work "out of the box" but after SFORMAT it worked fine.
The card arrived today and it doesn't work. Both SDISK and SFORMAT say "Only use SUNDISK cards with SDISK".
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

You also have the 32MB "MH" card? Mine showed as "SanDisk SDCFB-32" in windows - Sandisk cards can be used by the sformat and sdisk tools. What does yours look like in windows when you check the "hardware" tab of the drive properties? I suspect theres not a sandisk card behind this label...
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

I have a SanDisk card which did not work. Then I got the Canon FC-32MH one which you said it worked for you. The SanDisk one shows as SDCFB-32, and the Canon one shows as Hitachi: