Sharp PC-3000

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Re: Sharp PC-3000

Post by Kyodai »

Yeah the HP 100LX/200LX in combination with an SRAM card are a real life saver in this case.

Thanks for the tip with the low power mode, i should somehow add that to my 3000/3100 articles.
SpiroGiro
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: PC3100

Post by SpiroGiro »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOTSTRAPPING SUCCESS!! yes - AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I last posted 3 years back and put the machine away and gave up. I also couldn't find one set of cables that came with the machine, from which I remember on their own didn't connect instantly with other PCs/ATARI ST - I had a Null modem Serial to Parallel also. I spent time after Xmas just gone and wasted a week looking for a 16bit 32K cluster formatter for the SRAM to use in either of the 2 old laptops have that read PCMCIA cards - Thinkpads T42 (XP) and 760 (Win98 on a HDD and a straight DOS 6.22 HDD option). Couldn't find anything and neither those damned cables. Search forums and old posts to see if I had missed anything in intervening years. Then - I found the cables! So with renewed enusiasm (!) I set about the arduous process again.

I had found old versions of Laplink 3, 4 and 5 for Dos and one for early Windows and neither connected. I tried copying the PC3k version of Laplink onto either a bootable W98 or a DOS 3.3 floppy and no luck working backwards.

So I set out to look to streamlining the IRQs and ports on the Thinkpad 760. I removed the IR port, the inbuilt Modem and sound via MWave but could only get Com2 native... but I tried it anyway. Then with one arrangement of the half dozen or so cables options I got a glimmer of a connecting sign running Laplink 4 Dos from the DOS6.22 HDD. However when it then went to attempt to copy (bootstrap) the Laplink executable files over the PC3k it fell over with a msg on the PC3k Batch File Missing.

So I reset the memory allocation on the PC3K so that E:/ had 1Mb appointed and 352kb loaded high into UMB and rebooted. Now I got a msg on the Thinkpad LapLink screen saying 'not enough disk space'.... So I looked at they config.$ys and Autoexec.$at that had appeared in D: on the PC3k and saw the Lapfile line was set to D: so I reset it to E: with its 1mb space and HOORAY!! it worked!!! now I have finally got a way to get my machine running as it was, with a stacked to 20Mb Sandisk Flash disk in slot A: runingn Windows 3.0 and Word for Windows 1.0 and Excel and games and Worperfect 5.1 and all the utilities to read Mac Disks(!), pkzip and run Compuserve for email... sadly - that's gone... oh and a modem, usefulness gone too... oh and FTP and IRC?? ARACNE??? Will though be able to copy files to the Atari with Ghostlink again...

Nonetheless, I have got it to life and it loads the Backpack Floppy too for added inter connectivity.

ISSUES: = I forgot to pull the release switch for insert a type II card in A slot and have bent the release... Can read A but have to use pliers to pull it. Also, seems no batteries are Identified in the machine so is oxide buildup somewhere on contacts - this was last used in anger c 2000...

So work to do...

So if anyone has dismantled a unit can they explain the process... I need to clean and repair the innards....

UPDATE!!

Service Manual with disassembly details found here:
https://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg ... ksm.pdf.gz

So chuffed!!!
Last edited by SpiroGiro on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiroGiro
Regular user

Post by SpiroGiro »

More settings detail:

On PC3K:

Evoke the INSTALL.exe and configure memory to 1024Kb drive E: (mine is the 3100)- so~ 346kb EMS

In D:\Autoexec .bat set lapfile/E:

In setup:
Low power OFF
Com speed 9600 but when adding the DOS command line Mode com1 set it to 2400, so reads:

Mode com1:2400,n,8,1,p
ctty com1

but, do this from E:\ prompt

++

On Thinkpad:

First, you need to boot W98/5 and have the Thinkpad config app loaded, so that in that you can ensure that IR is not active but that the com ports are. Then in W98 device manager, delete IR and modem and anything that is hogging a com port or conflicting IRQ. Do attempt to get com1 available - however in my case I could only get com2

Reboot but disallowing W98 to find the removed devices. Shelling to DOS from within W98 to load Laplink 4/connect (might) DOES work, but I shut down W98, swapped over the HDD to one with just DOS 6.22 and few utils on it and used Laplink 4 for DOS running on that.

So, whatever, at this point: load Laplink 4 from the Thinkpad (local) and set the ports in Laplink up so they are configured for the lowest speed which is 19,200, IRQ3 and leave the 'force 3 wire' unticked

Laplinks available here:

https://winworldpc.com/product/laplink/4x

If you have limited space on E: if you have the PC3000, then if you have an SRAM card, format it and set your Lapfile to that. The Lapliink 4 files bootstrapped over are 211kb

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ UPDATE +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having established a usable link and com port setting/cables using Laplink 4 DOS, I tried with the native version on Laplink in the PC3K. It couldn't find the com2 on the Thinkpad to auto bootstrap to, so I copied off the embedded Laplink.exe from the PC3K C:\utils onto a floppy via my Backpack Floppy drive now successfully connected to the PC3K and placed it in C:\ on the Thinkpad. Then ran both and Yep it worked! However the functionally/clarity of use is superior on the Laplink4 DOS version than the PC3Ks cutdown version.

LINKED SUCCESS - Even on a Pentium 166mhz running under W98se!!
Last edited by SpiroGiro on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Congratulations on getting it working. And thanks for the many detailed instructions. Very helpful.

The big question still remains - did you install "Leisure Suit larry" on it yet? ;)
SpiroGiro
Regular user

Post by SpiroGiro »

Dug out my collection of programs and apps that I used to employ include:

BitCom and BitFax (with modem)
Compuserve CIS - email etc
Windows 3.0 running Word1 and Excel2 and mouse connectivity
Macsee - to read Mac floppies
QRAM - High memory management tool for 8088 https://winworldpc.com/product/qram/2x
Timeworks Publisher under GEM Desktop
Envision Publisher (not used in anger)
Minuet - DOS-based integrated suite of internet applications - POP mailer, News, Gopher, FTP, Telnet and WWW clients.
ARACNE - WWW browser... (limited success)
Netamer - my preferred FTP IRC Telnet client https://www.nettamer.net/
LYNX - http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm
Wordperfect 5.1 - The company I worked for only had dumb Xenix Wp5.1 terminals, so with this I could bring work back and forth from the server Floppy access point and work on the PC3K at home... WooHoo!

Productive Utilities:
KD.ex - Kills a Directory
QU.ex -Quick Unerase
DIET.exe - an executable 'on the fly' file compressor
PKzip
FDisk.exe Extended floppy formatter - I used to comfortably run floppies at 1.7mb
QRAM
Stacker
Ghostlink to copy files to my ATARI ST via null modem cables
DiskRW - a Floppy copying/formatting tool - great for multiple floppy disc installs - spanned the entire install

Great Games for the PC3K:
Sim City
Commander Keen
Overkill

*sorting through old floppies to see what I have forgotten...more to follow...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Wordperfect is simply...awesome. At least if you know many of the keyboard shortcuts. For spreadsheets Multiplan was also pretty great. Also MS WOrks kinda has some use. Depends on what you wanna do.

Coming to games - I do love all the old Sierra games like leisure suit larry, Kings Quest etc. These play great with a keyboard. But if you use a mouse then my favorites are "Nuclear war" and "Secret of Monkey Island". Most SIerra games can be "hacked" to run in CGA even though there's no native support if you throw in the CGA driver. So even Police Quest 3 and some of the VGA remakes (leisure suit larry, Space quest etc) run in CGA.

For programming "Visual Basic for DOS" is not that bad, at least if you have some experience with "real" visual basic. I like how you can easily draw and manage windows in MS-DOS. But yeah it is limited. I made some prank videos with it that simulate booting Windows XP or playing GTA IV. Well just plain loading of BSAV images for each frame, but ironically the 100LX was so fast I had to program a throttle, otherwise it would run too fast XD
SpiroGiro
Regular user

Post by SpiroGiro »

the holy grail for PC3K users of the day - Running Windows!

Also runs Word for Windows and Excel for Windows without issue.

Seeing it load Windows still gives a buzz - I don't even mind the hour glass!

Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Looks great. If you invert the screen in the BIOS it looks even nicer. :)
SpiroGiro
Regular user

Post by SpiroGiro »

One main reason for ATA Flash not working in the PC3000 was that it had to be 3.3v and not 5v as the later cards are.

Strangely, you can now find new 3.3v cards which are still used in industrial applications - like CNC equipment controllers etc.

Here are two companies selling 3.3v compatible cards if anyone fancies experimenting.

https://www.amtron.com/atapccard.htm

http://www.psism.com/industrialata.htm

I (annoyingly) have a Toshiba ATA Type I Flash 10Mb and an HP branded Sandisk SDP3B 10mb Flash that neither work, The Sandisk ALMOST Sdisks... My Canon 32Mb FC-32MH cf Flash (no Sandisk code) doesn't work either. I rely on my 2Mb Mitsuibishi Melcard and 10Mb Sandisk from 1996. I 'stacker' the Sandisk to 20Mb. Still, another meaty card would be nice... if only for the nostalgia!

The other option is to find an 8bit formatting tool that you can run at a dos prompt on an older laptop with PC card slots. OR a way to adjust the cluster size of a card to below 64Kb. These might then just accept a PC3000 compatible format with the Sundrv and DIPSys drivers...??
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Well according to Sven Uttcke I had the impression that only 5 Volt cards work...

I just leave this link where he tried some cards:

https://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg ... c3100.html

I think formatting the card directly in the PC-3000 should work fine if the card is supported. So long go, but I think I probably formatted mine in the HP 100LX.

Due to MS-DOS 3.3 the maximum partition size is 32MB. Unless you boot like MS-DOS 5 from floppy.

I think for FAT16 (Or FAT12) by default you can't even have clusters larger than 32K. Look at the table here:

http://web.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT16.htm