Yay! I got a Zeos Pocket PC. But Oh no! How to transfer files?

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
ajacocks
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: Zeos_Pocket_PC

Re: Yay! I got a Zeos Pocket PC. But Oh no! How to transfer files?

Post by ajacocks »

I’m in the same boat, about not being able to transfer files, since I don’t have the serial or parallel cables. Would anyone be willing to post some detailed pictures of the existing aftermarket solution, so that I can try to clone it? Depending on how obvious the traces are in the existing board, I might need someone to do a continuity test on some pins, as well.

I’d be happy to do a PCB design and make it available to everyone, if so.

Thanks!
- Alex
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

I still have some of these, imma see if i can take some pictures if i got the time.
ajacocks
Regular user

Post by ajacocks »

That would be a great help. It'd be even better if you have enough spares to sell me one. Then, I could take my own measurements from the board.

I would like to change the existing design on 2 fronts:
1) it should have the proper connectors. I just need to figure out what the connectors are, that are on the PPC
2) I'd like to add a null-modem switch, so that a null modem adapter/cable isn't necessary for PC-to-PPC connections

Any other ideas for improvement?

- Alex
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Hi Alex,

hopefully I'll have time to search through my collection tonight.

I should still have several of these and since kingeorg didn't take the one i offered no problem - I can sell you one.

1. The current design is just a very thin PCB that plugs directly into the existing connectors. I'll not say that it is totally impossible to get the proper connectors, but I have doubts they were still made in the past 1 or 2 decades, so I'd be surprised if you can source these. And if you plan to make more than just one or two for yourself it might also be a cost factor - not sure about the prices if you can find these at all, but they could be expensive since i fear they are pretty rare.

2. The null modem switch seems to be a great idea.

3. What i missed most from the current design would be a case. I'd value a case much more than the proper connectors. I think someone with a 3D printer and enough skill could easily make some for the existing port replicator.

4. If possible - even less depth than the existing one. Less depth = less prone to break off i think.
ajacocks
Regular user

Post by ajacocks »

I have a 3D printer, and spend a fair amount of time creating cases for retro devices. I'd be happy to make one.

If the connectors are truly NLA, then I can probably create a connector by wrapping plastic around the existing PCB fingers.

And I found this:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2257 ... ts0874.pdf

I think that may be the connector, but there is only a 26 pin version. There is no 10 pin version. There might have been, in the past.

- Alex
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

OK i finally had some time to take some photos... Geez family keeps me busy these days... :)

So here they are:

Maybe i should also search the original cables, but i think the adaptor already gives some impression of the contacts of the port.

After all is said and done this may not be the pinnacle of German engineering but a simple solution at least.
ajacocks
Regular user

Post by ajacocks »

Many thanks! That is a seriously thin PCB, I see what you meant.

I'll send you a private message, to discuss buying one from you.

- Alex
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

OK sent you the tracking info via PM. :3