HP Omnibook 800CT

Netbooks, subnotebooks and other tiny computers. Don't need to be vintage, but vintage ones are also welcome.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Re: HP Omnibook 800CT

Post by Kyodai »

Aight let me know how it worked out, so curious what these rebuilt batteries can do. :)
wintermute
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: Sharp_PC-3000

Post by wintermute »

After another 60 mins of action the battery went down from 30% to 15%. It seems to me it only goes up or down in 15% increments.

Sorry for this taking so long but on top of the work and family obligations I only get to play 1-2 hours max in the evening :)

The next session should drain it completely and then I will reset the battery sensor, charge it overnight and see what happens.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Hehe, yeah same for me - at best i get like 2 hours off in the late evening... And yesterday my daughter couldn't sleep, so that went down to zero... Ahhhh haven't even managed to watch the last episode of "The walking dead" XD
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

Well, that was quick. After another 15m of playing the machine died. It gave a plenty of warning before though and then it went into hibernation (did not lose any data -- it just suspended itself in the middle of the game and then resumed nicely once plugged in).

So, I got the total of 210m of playing = 3.5h. Respectable! Again, the battery showed 75% before the experiment (which could be the new 100% after calibration). Upon reboot (with F4), I am now charging it overnight and will repeat the experiment over the next several days.

I should mention that this was on the lowest brightness of the screen (does not make a big difference in picture quality, especially in the dark -- the TFT screen is really good).

BTW, the manual says:
Operating time, from 100% charge Typical Time 2 to 3 hours maximum. Actual time depends on the particular OmniBook model and actual usage.
So, even 3.5h is very respectable.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Yeah 3.5 hours already sounds pretty good. If you give it a full charge then maybe it will be even more. The original HDD for sure drew much more current - your SSD should help to save much power. :)
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

I left it charging the whole night and after 9 hours it was on 90% -- 1st time I saw anything not divisible by 15. After another hour it finally reached 100% -- 1st time I saw that number :) So each 10% of charge with these new batteries needs 1 hour of charging. Extrapolating this, I spent 75% for 210 minutes so I should be able to stretch 100% to 280 minutes = 4h 40m! As a simpler rule of thumb: ~5 hours of battery life, ~10 hours to fully recharge. This is an excellent result, this is becoming one of my favorite machines now :D
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Finally 100%. Well now that sounds like a battery one can use... So did the battery indicator precision improve now? If the displayed charge is still totally off then maybe the indicator can't cope with the new cells. But i think most omnibook were able to "learn" the new capacity with the "F4" trick. AT least my OB600 showed halfway reasonable readings after a few full charges and discharges (And kicking the indicator with F4).
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

Did not use the computer for several days, and finally late tonight turned it on and the battery was still showing 100%. Played Nectaris for 15 mins (just to finish a campaign) and the indicator stayed at 100%. These cells appear to be really awesome.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Wow, I am curious how the total run time is now. Maybe it could even reach like 5 hours or so. That makes it a total killer DOS gaming laptop. :3
Aaronaaudio
Favorite Palmtop: omnibooks

Post by Aaronaaudio »

im looking to rebuild an 800ct battery as well, id rather not bugger it...how did you open it?