Gaming laptops

Anything else about computers... Wanna brag about your new laptop? Then it goes in here...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Gaming laptops

Post by Kyodai »

Does anyone have a gaming laptop? I was thinking of buying a neat gaming laptop. The ones with Geforce 1080 or 1070 are way too expensive, but maybe i could afford a used one with a geforce 960 or 1060 i thought. Any experience?
dissociativity
Regular user

Re: Gaming laptops

Post by dissociativity »

I personally just go for used 17" Dell Precision machines, just make sure it's got a 1080p screen and a quad core i7 model and you're fine.
M6700 and M6800 are my recommended models, you can upgrade the GPU with any Dell MXM cards found online.
The M6800 and M6700 should both take an Nvidia 980m or M5000m, possible a quadro P5000 or 1070 max-q, but I'm not sure about the last two.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Just checked these out and at least the models offered here in Germany are not exactly what I was looking for.

Found a "refurbished" M6800 with a Quadro K3100M for like 1500 bucks - which i personally think is a blatant ripoff.

I am currently using an old Toshiba Satellite P855-107. Kinda antique Core i7-3610QM - but at least a quad core. Maxed out with 16GB of tuning RAM and the fastest SSD for this bus. Geforce 640 GT. Autostereoscopic 1080P display with eye tracking. Paid like 300 bucks for it (used) like a year ago.

So from my point of view the M6800 would not really be a big upgrade.

I think I'd rather go for something like a HP Omen 15-ce 036ng or Lenovo Legion Y720. At least here in Germany these are slightly under 1000 USD or at least around a 1000 USD...

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/273519313766
dissociativity
Regular user

Post by dissociativity »

I got my M6700 with 16gb of RAM, the highest end non-extreme edition CPU for that generation (3.8ghz), a Quadro K4100m 4gb MXM GPU that I bought and upgraded separately for $750AUD roughly all up.

Never buy a laptop with a soldered gpu, never, 'gaming' laptops with soldered gpus just die on you, an MXM card is replaceable and upgradeable.
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

I do like the idea of the MXM cards - however they are rather rare and besides some old ones from stone age also not very cheap, so not sure if I'd spend a fortune if one with a soldered GPU is cheaper.

So far i only had soldered GPUs and never problems - maybe luck or maybe the fact that i can usually count the hours spent gaming per week with one hand.

Anyways - right now I just lack the money - x-mas and car insurances coming next. Also I'd be really curious how Nvidia RTX (Real time ray tracing cards) develop, especially since I am also a hobby game programer.
striegel
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: HP-200LX

Post by striegel »

My son is the gamer, not me, so this is second-hand advice but he customized a Sager gaming notebook and he takes it with him everywhere when he travels. That is their specialty, so maybe you can find a used one of those for sale.
https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Actually interesting piece of hardware, definitely gonna keep that brand in mind. I don't think they're very popular in Germany though (Where i reside, doh!).

Well currently there are so many things I'm saving for (New family car would be nice. my BMW is still working but god knows how long...), so right now I kinda shelved this project. Well being a wannabe programmer I am also waiting for the new mobile RTX series from Nvidia, they'll prolly be expensive, but I'd love to be a bandwagoner and release one of the first UE4 based RTX compatible games. Well we'll see, RTX support ain't coming before the first UE4 4.22 preview, so my wallet is safe - for now.