Sharp PC-3000 Laplink over the Parallel port?

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
willinliv
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: PC-3000

Sharp PC-3000 Laplink over the Parallel port?

Post by willinliv »

Hi Everyone, new user here but have recently been lent a PC-3000 from my father to take a look at. He has supplied with it the charger and the short Parallel port cable labelled DHF-20. I have got laplink to launch, and have even gone as far as making a null cable to go from parallel to an old IBM PC parallel connection. However after some failed attempts I see in the reference manual that it highlight Laplink over the RS-232C but not parallel, and in the software that comes as part of the ROM it only talks about Com1/2 but not Parallel port. I have asked my Dad and he thinks he used parallel because it would have been quicker. Anybody got it working over Parallel? Thanks, Will
willinliv
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: PC-3000

Re: Sharp PC-3000 Laplink over the Parallel port?

Post by willinliv »

Just going to leave a quick answer here to my own question, I've not got new problems! But essentially it seems that the version of Laplink within the ROM partition of the PC3K is restricted to communication via serial connection (I wish, hope I was wrong but I think I am not). Also to remote install also requires serial for that part of the process period (but that is not really a problem for me now). I could try to run the same laplink version on the pc, and see if I load the same version on the Sharp at the same time they handshake, but again all of the settings in the ROM's laplink are taking about comm ports where other versions are talking about parallel. As I don't have the serial connection I cannot upgrade to a newer version of Laplink. I have bought a Pretec 2MB SRAM card (S65002) which the PC-3000 will format, and I can put files onto it on the Sharp, but then Windows 98 / 95 / XP cannot work with the file structure laid out by the Sharp so far, so I am in a bit of a rabbithole trying to fix that