Sharp PC-3000

Everything about vintage DOS based Palmtops goes in here...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Re: Sharp PC-3000

Post by Kyodai »

Yeah the Sharp has no problems with the attribute.

Wit the Thinkpad T42 you were extremely lucky. That is actually the last Notebook IBM made with support for Windows 98. I would suggest to check the amount of installed RAM. With 1GB or more Win 98 usually becomes unstable - so i would recommend to only install 768MB or less.

I'd really suggest installing Win 98 on it - you can even install a dual boot with Windows 98 and XP if you're a bit of a techie guy. With Windows 98 all SRAM and Flash/Compact Flash cards are really easy to use. If you have an ethernet hub or switch you can even setup a network share and just drop your newest downloads and files in that share to easily copy it to the PC-3000.
wintermute
Regular user
Favorite Palmtop: Sharp_PC-3000

Post by wintermute »

Kyodai wrote:Yeah the Sharp has no problems with the attribute.
Great, thank you, good to know.
Kyodai wrote:Wit the Thinkpad T42 you were extremely lucky. [...] I'd really suggest installing Win 98 on it [...] only install 768MB
Yep, this seems to be the next mini-project. I also read about the large memory issue on some forums, will check (the machine is not with me at the moment).

Most importantly my Sharp PC-3000 arrived yesterday! Initially I thought it was DOA because it kept rebooting itself every second (I just installed the fresh AAs and the 2016). I tried Ctrl+Alt+D+R, tried Reset, nothing helped. The manual did not reveal anything new but once I read "do not change the AAs and the 2016 at the same time" i got an idea: I removed both AAs and the 2016, put the AAs back, Reset, and it booted successfully with a "replace the lithium battery" warning. Then I just put the 2016 back, the machine kept working, and the message went away. Phew.

My Poqet PC 2MB SRAM card should arrive today but AFAIK it is not with attributes... So it will be Win 98 time soon...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

I think you will have much fun with the 2MB card. Enough for most games. Maybe even Windows 3.0 if you really delete all unnecessary files (hlp, txt, vga driver, unwanted appz, pictures, etc)... I ran Windows 3.0 from a 4MB card though.

Sierra adventures are pretty enjoyable with the keyboard - at least the older ones. Some later ones like even "Police Quest 3", "Leisure Suit Larry VGA remake" and so on can even be tweaked to work in CGA, but these are more fun with a mouse. Remember to invert the screen in the Sharp setup to enjoy CGA games and appz.
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

I reinstalled Win XP on my T42 to repartition the hard disk (40GB + 40GB, it has an 80GB HDD). I found the instructions how to dual boot XP and 98 (http://bootstrike.com/WindowsXP/dualboot98.php) and am in a process of acquiring a Win 98 install disk.

I checked the amount of RAM aaaand........ it has whopping 2GB (!). I found this, hope it will help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/253912 (if not, it seems I would have to open the machine, remove 2 x 1GB sticks (or the 2GB one -- not sure what's inside and I found on the internet that it has 2 slots) and insert an appropriate 512MB stick (or 2 x 256MB) which I would have to obtain somehow).

I haven't used Windows since 2002 (when I switched to Mac) and find this intriguing because all old memories are coming back (the last Windows I used was actually XP).

[ The SRAM card arrival got moved to tomorrow ]
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Well a Windows 98 cd is not that hard to find, you can just download some and try them out...

https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#safe= ... 8se.iso%22

If i remember right the T42 should have one RAM stick on the bottom and one under the keyboard. The one on the bottom is obviously easy to reach.

Don't spend too much on RAM or accessories since you can often buy an old WIndows 95/98 laptop for like 10-20 dollars. A good source is often http://www.shopgoodwill.com
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

I got the card and was able to format & use it in PC-3000. Win XP is not recognizing it. The card has a weak battery (Sharp warns about it) and I will need to put a new one. It's a BR-2325 which none of the stores I checked had and I ordered it on Amazon.

The T42 indeed has one 1GB RAM stick on the bottom and another 1GB under the keyboard. We'll see what happens once I get Win 98 (getting an original installation disc from a friend; feel a bit uneasy about downloading it from the internet).
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

I discovered that my Sharp goes to sleep if I shake it or move it around swiftly. I am not sure if that's some kind of anti-shock protection or the machine is faulty (it wakes up if I press any key with no any problems). Never happens when I just use it standing still but sometimes triggers even if I just type on it while it's not stable. It's not bothering me much since the machine is basically always on and instantly resumes but it did corrupt the SRAM card once when it happened during the format. I also think it started happening after I inserted the SRAM card but I am not 100% sure; it happens now even if the card is removed and after the computer was fully reset.

Hmm...

Kyodai, does your Sharp exhibits a similar behavior?
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

BR2325 is just another alternate name for cr2325. I am sure the more common CR2025 would also fit.

The problem you describe sounds like a weak contact problem. If the palmtop was kept stored with batteries in it for too long the contacts become worn out. You could bend the contacts, but that would probably need disassembly. Another solution would be to put a small piece of metal in it, like a 1 cent coin or a small washer to tighten the pressure on the contacts. Also make sure the contacts are not corroded, can easily clean corrosion by scratching it of with a metal object like a screw driver or knife. Unfortunately as i mentioned the contacts are hard to reach without disassembling. I would try the coin trick first.
wintermute
Regular user

Post by wintermute »

Kyodai wrote:BR2325 is just another alternate name for cr2325.
Yeah, knew that but nobody had the CR-2325 either...
Kyodai wrote:The problem you describe sounds like a weak contact problem. [...] I would try the coin trick first.
Sounded reasonable and here is what I discovered! Coin was too big to fit, I put folded tinfoil between the two batteries I could access and that actually made it worse -- now it was *really* sensitive to any movements. So I concluded it must have been a contact but somewhere else and the tighter batteries made it even more loose. Combining that insight with the theory that it all started once I inserted the SRAM card, I turned off the machine, squeezed it tight right in the area around the middle of the keyboard (where the PCMCIA connectors must be) with my palms and, voilà, the problem went away! No matter how hard I move/shake it now it stays on! So I think what happened is that there was some loose connector/contact there which the PC card "stretched" even more loose.

I know this could be just a temporary solution and that I might need to disassemble it eventually (i downloaded the Service Manual from https://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg ... /ftp/pc3k/).

It also could come back once i reinsert the PC Card... We'll cross that bridge once I get there...

Thanks for the tip!
Kyodai
Site Admin

Post by Kyodai »

Hmmm, i haven't had that problem before i must admit. It's too long ago since i last saw the guts of a PC-3000, so i can't remember anything helpful. Let's hope that fix lasts for a while... ;)